Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Listening to Who?! : Pentatonix, Somebody That I Used To Know (Gotye cover)


Okay I'll admit my choir girl fan tendencies are showing through. But I can't help it, I love this group. They combine solid harmonies and choral understanding, within the current pop stratosphere. How can 5 acapella voices sound so radio friendly? Explain that to me! You can feel the joy in their music, as much as the audience is excited for this song, they are too. And who wouldn't be in that amazingly talented group? I've been living for this song for a few days now, and original aside, this has to be the best harmonic arrangement. Most creative award would definitely go to Walk off the Earth however. But that's another story.

My only wish is that Pentatonix might have put a little more effort into the overall look. I think that it is balanced aesthetically, but forgettable as a whole. Now don't get me wrong, I am definitely not asking for matching outfits. Please, no! Yet a more defined style would have better serviced the video and perhaps called more attention to this hidden gem of a cover. Each member of the group should still look like themselves, just with more pop. I'm talking to you Kirstie especially, that boring purple shirt is not cutting it. I'm not totally ragging on their looks though, there a few honorable mentions: I love Kevin's red collared shirt, tie, and sweater combo. Now that's how you look like you're somebody! And Mitch's striped shirt is easily the most eye catching of the bunch, so way to go Mitch. Maybe try a printed scarf with it next time and see how much it elevates the entire look.

In the end, the video is worth watching for the music, and the music alone. Next time guys, try amping up the style quotient and see how that can help you generate more views. 'Cause a cover this good certainly deserves more than just a million views.

p.s Avi, fix that damn collar. It's driving me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment